Thursday, January 29, 2009

Pardon my fatigue....

Okay, so you may remember a post not all that long ago in which I pleaded for help in getting my children to sleep longer.  They have developed this habit of waking up earlier and earlier.  Now, I am no idealist complaining that my kids wake up too early at, say, 6 a.m.  People, listen, I am talking about 5:30, 5:00 and most recently (this morning) 4:00 A.M.!  You see, I am not just whining, this is a legitimate problem that requires an intervention.  I am NOT a morning person but have always had early rising kids so have just accepted the fact that I have to get up early.  The lack of sleep that comes with parenting is probably my biggest challenge as a mother (well, that and staying calm when I don't get it)--I LOVE sleep.  I can handle 6 a.m. (barely--it takes all my strength not to bite everyone's head off) but anything earlier is completely unbearable.  The problem is Tyler.  He wakes up early, then I hear him say, "Jacob, Jacob, wake up!"  I have tried in vain to explain to him that when he waked his brother and mommy and daddy up so early, it makes for a grumpy family.  Yeah, that went in one ear and out the other.  I have tried everything I can think of and taken all the previous suggestions--putting to bed later, putting to bed earlier, getting a digital clock in his room and telling him he can't get up until it says 6:00, putting snacks by him in bed, punishing him (no tv), and everything else in the book.  My kids do get to bed between 7:30 and 8:00 p.m., mom and dad need some quality time together (which entails sitting in front of the tv for an hour or so to decompress--quality time for the 21st century).  So, if you have advice, I'll take anything (I do draw the line at duct taping him into bed though--although the thought has crossed my mind a few times in those wee hours of the morning).  If you have no more ideas (like myself) then just have sympathy!  Poor me.....zzzzzzzzz.........

5 comments:

Hillary said...

I feel for you, I also NEED my sleep and require a atleast 8 hours to be happy! Try this, get a treasure box and fill it with things he loves (star wars stuff, etc.) Every morning he doesn't wake Jake up he gets to get in the treasure chest. You might have to go to every two days, ect. This may be a little investment upfront, but well worth it if it works and you can sleep. If it works, you might have to have something to for him to do when he does wake up. Could he go turn the TV on and watch cartoons quietly without waking everyone up? Just have the channel set the night before to a cartoon channel and the right volume and then all he will have to do is turn the TV on. Hopefully this helps! Good luck. It will get better!

Katie L. said...

Yuck! Maybe tell him that how ever early he wakes up, he has to take that long of a nap after school. If he's like Ben, he won't take the nap but will just lay there and not have any fun. I don't know, I think that I would go for the duct taping by now if I were you! Make Eric deal with it, it's his stubborness that Tyler has! :)

Genni said...

I sooooo hear you. I have the same struggle and after many years of trying different things I just taught the early risers to turn on the TV. It goes off as soon as I get up (around 6). Right now my kids still get up at 5 or 5:30...way to early for me. I just couldn't win any other way. Good Luck with the boys!

Morgan said...

4:30!! That is early!!! When you figure out the secret, will you let me know?

larsonfamily said...

Hey Kelly,
Your little Maggie is so cute. We can't wait to see you guys again. It sounds like you have tried everything with your boys. I lock my kids in their rooms, it sounds like you might have tried that. Good luck, if I think of anything I will let you know.
love,
Mindy