Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Iron Chef

Well, for those of you familiar with my children, you may know that they haven't eaten dinner in about a year and a half.  It's amazing that they are still alive.  My rule is that I make a family dinner and if they don't eat it then they go hungry for the night.  I NEVER give in and all the "experts" said this is the best way to get your kids to eat.  According to them it should take a few weeks and "your child will get the idea they have to eat what you make."  Well, they didn't count on the stubborness of the Swenson children.  So as I said, my kids live on breakfast and lunch alone.  So last night Eric and I decided we were sick of it and going to implement a new system--what they don't eat for dinner they get for breakfast.  If they don't eat it then, they get it for lunch and so on.   This morning was my first attempt at this and Tyler took an hour to eat, whining the whole time, but I was steadfast!  Then there is Jacob.  He actually ate all his chicken pretty well but when it came to the potatoes he had a harder time.  I put a bite in his mouth and he went to spit it out but I told him he had to chew it up and swallow it.  So he tries to chew it then gags.  I look up from the sink just in time to see him puke all over the table.  It wasn't a sick throw-up, just an "oh my gosh I hate this food I can't even chew it" throw up.  Regardless, it was disgusting.  So what do I do now?  Do I risk a vomit session each morning or just let him have his Eggos?  Ah, the joys of motherhood.
On a happier note, guess who pooped in the toilet yesterday?  JACOB!  Hooray!  Of course, he pooped in his diaper later too, but it does give one reason to hope that potty-training is near.  I actually have a pretty awesome picture of Jacob admiring his "business" but I thought that might take the blog a little too far!   You'll just have to use your imaginations. 

4 comments:

Erin said...

You know I never forced Dallin to eat anything, once he was old enough I would require him to try things, but if he didn't like them they just didn't get eaten. Nowadays he is a pretty good eater. There are still things he doesn't like but he almost always eats what I make, even if he is not sure. This is my same approach for Olivia...I guess time will tell how it goes.

Morgan said...

I remember your kiddos not liking to eat dinner a whole lot. Funny boys! Kids definitely have the upper hand when it comes to vomiting on command, like Jacob did! What do you do?

And while I am at it...

We did one of those "traffic emergency hotel stays" and also the tragic buffet! It was worth the 30 dollars to not have to be in that RIDICULOUS traffic all night long. We looked at it as a convenience fee!

Hillary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hillary said...

Oh the woes of raising children! I think you are doing the right thing. If the throwing up continues I would definatly try something else. With Nathan we used to do something similar. If he didn't eat his dinner, he went hungry. The next morning he got breakfast, but it wasn't pancakes (his favorite). It was something like plain oatmeal or toast with no jam, or cherrios with no sugar. He didn't get the yummy breakfast unless he ate his dinner the night before, so it was kinda like a reward. However, we ate the yummy breakfast! Maybe if Jake sees Tyler eating eggos, and he gets plain oatmeal, he will learn to eat his dinner or visa versa. Hope this makes sense. Don't know if this will help, but it is worth a try. By the way, Nathan now LOVES oatmeal!