Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Fly Hotel

So, the above picture aside, our new family activity is swatting flies.  I think we get around 10 new flies in our house everyday.  I guess they are prolific around these parts this time of year.   They get into our house every time the boys go outside--I guess I never taught them how to shut a door.  There is little in this world more annoying than a bunch of flies buzzing around your head when you are trying to relax.  Ugh!  I am thinking about charging and opening a fly motel.  Now for the picture above, I went to the store a little bit ago and the boys each picked out a wooden craft toy.  I let them paint their own and this just goes to show that Jake thought it was just as fun painting himself than his train.  Below is a picture of the robot Tyler and I made.  Tyler was the master architect, but I helped him think of ideas to use for a few of the body parts.  It turned out pretty cool!  But now the problem is that Tyler refuses to get rid of it.  What am I supposed to do with a big robot made out of garbage?  Any suggestions?
Tyler took this next picture of Maggie--I thought it was pretty cute.  It was one of those surprise pictures I find on the camera when I upload them.  Most of them are junk but I do find a few treasures here and there...
Sunday evening we were outside admiring our garden (as you will see in upcoming pics) and I put Maggie on the trampoline (sans the boys) because I got tired of holding her.  She loved it!  She sat there for over 15 minutes just looking around.  They boys were a little upset because I don't let them on the trampoline on Sundays, but here I was allowing Maggie to be on it.  Too bad, so sad.

Last but not least (drumrollllllllllllll) here is our garden!  This is what we planted in the box.  At first the little seedings seemed so tiny I thought for sure we should have planted more stuff but now it is overflowing!  I have one pepper plant that has about 6 peppers on it right now.  The vine plant that has spread through the whole thing is the cantaloupe.  It is taking over.
Here is my basil--growing well!  Now I just need some good recipes using it.  My cilantro grew pretty well but I eat that all the time so it is long gone.  I planted some more seeds of it a few days ago.
And this one is my favorite.  This is our first watermelon...look how tiny!  It is like an inch long.  It will be fun to watch it grow (assuming I don't kill it somehow--or the kids--I've had about 3 tiny green tomatoes brought to me so far, no matter how many times I tell them not to pick them!)

3 comments:

Katie L. said...

I'm growing basil this year too and I already have a bunch of recipes that I want to use it in so I will have to get them to you. Maggie is SOOO cute! Have an "accident" where the robot gets knocked on the floor and he has to go to robot heaven...that's my best idea, sorry! :)

Genni said...

Haha...I totally laughed about the robot. Josh keeps everything. I usually end up putting his treasures on a shelf(in a closet preferably) and then throw them away weeks or months later when they are forgotten. Good Luck! Maggie is darling...could those eyes be any bluer?

Hillary said...

Awesome garden, I am so jealous! I hear you about the flies, we have the same problem. I have told the boys that I will pay them 25 cents for every fly they kill..and they are racking in the doe! Love the robot. I think you need to let him keep it, what an accomplishment.