Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A few things...

Jacob came to me the other day and told me he didn't like his bed because it didn't have a "cool" tent like Tyler's did. He said he needed a new bed. Well, I wasn't about to go buy him a bed, let alone that my house is way too small for anything other than a bunk bed, so I came up with this....It isn't perfect by any means, though I am pretty proud I was able to put in a "window"! Two actually, but I was making it late at night so couldn't go measure it in the boys' room. So the back side is a little off, but the kids don't care. I did make several mistakes but the boys don't care so it's all good! They LOVE playing in it and Jacob loves to sleep in it.

Then yesterday I turned on the oven and after a minute smelled a really weird BAD BAD BAD smell. The oven wasn't heating and none of the burners would turn on. I called the housing maintenance people and they filed it as an emergency and told me they would have to notify the fire dept. Okay, so we waited outside since it smelled to bad inside. A minute later we heard sirens. The boys said, "They are coming!" I told them that must be for something else--they wouldn't use the sirens for us! Lo and behold around the corner comes the fire truck, sirens blaring! 3 Firemen in their fire jackets and helmets came inside, pulled my oven out (totally embarrassing the mess that was under there by the way....) and checked for gas leaks. Turned out the construction down the way broke a gas main and the smell was the propane mixing with air or something. No biggie, but it certainly added some excitement to the kids' day!
Lastly, on Sunday Tyler kept opening the front door to look at some baby birds in a nest up on our porch eave. I told him to stop since every time he opened it Maggie would run outside and I would have to go catch her. He didn't listen so I told him firmly to knock it off. He got upset so tried to slam the door but ended up slamming his toe....
Nasty! I did feel bad, but I do have to admit there was a small part of me that wanted to shout out, "I told you so!" but I restrained myself. It looks so much worse in person! The nail is all raised up because of the swelling. Yuck! But he told me yesterday, "Mom, I wish I had listened to you and stopped opening the door." I'll take that as a minor victory, despite the wound.

5 comments:

Katie L. said...

Ow!!!! That toes looks like it hurts! That is pretty cool about the fire truck! We are looking forward to seeing where you guys live in a month! Yahoo!

Jeri Calder said...

Wow, I can't believe you got Jacob's bed done so fast!!! It looks fantastic, and I'm sure he'll love it. Poor Tyler....I'm sure it hurts terribly, but at least he had a first hand learning experience about obeying your parents!

Genni said...

Nasty toe! Bleh! The bed looks really cool! So creative! We had the fire dept. show up to our house last year and tell us our house fire alarm was going off and they had to come in...thing is...we didn't have a house alarm but it took some convincing to get them to understand that!

Hillary said...

What excitement! You are so talented...you should sell those tents online, I bet you would make a ton of money. Tyler's toe looks so sore! See you SOON!!!

Gail said...

I hit "next blog" at the top of my own puny blog page and delightfully found yours! I loved my visit! I'll be back...I loved the "smile" song!
You inspired me to pick this back up...I've been spending so much time on facebook and not in my creative realm of pondering and penning!