Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Swimming Cool

So what do you do the first day it reaches 100 degrees at Fort Irwin (besides dread the upcoming summer)?  Get out the swimming cool!   No, it's not a typo--that's what Jacob calls it.  And that's exactly what we did.  The boys had a blast!  Right off the bat Jacob doused Tyler with the hose...But not to worry, Tyler got him back pretty good...
And while the water-chaos was going on, Maggie was happy as a clam watching her brothers act like, well, boys.  She really did watch them the whole time--and even laughed a couple times at them!  
The most amazing part of it all was that there was no fighting!  Although I had to keep getting on their case about not getting me and Maggie wet (even though secretly I enjoyed the cooling off when they did), it was so fun to watch them.  All was well in the world of boys.  Well, that is, until Jacob got a booger in the water (it wouldn't be truly Jacob if it didn't involve boogers).  I was expecting the police to pull up what with all the screaming going on.  But good old mom fished it out (isn't that what moms are for--cleaning up every possible kind of bodily fluid?) and we were okay again...after a careful H2O inspection by Tyler.
Jacob's favorite activity was "fireworks", as he called them.  Splashing as high and hard as he could.
Tyler's favorite activity was "swimming", as HE called it.  Basically it entailed him laying on his stomach in no more than 6 inches of water, thrashing around, then standing up shouting, "I swam!  I swam!"  He may just be the next Michael Phelps....except that Tyler never eats anything.
Of course I needed a shot with the goggles.
And I threw this one in just because I busted out laughing when I saw it.  Notice the boogies once again.  This is the boogeriest kid I have ever seen.  I have all but given up on it.
Jacob came up to me and tried to give me a hug but I said, "No, you're all wet!"  Then he said, "Mommy, I just want to love you!"  How could I resist that?  So I got a nice sopping hug.  Totally worth it.  The coolest thing was that even though it was mid-day, the moon was out, and boy, was it full.  Maybe Jake will be a plumber when he grows up.  He is well on his way!
More splashing--I am surprised there was any water left in the pool!
And of course with Tyler having no body fat to keep him warm, he got cold so the boys laid down on the grass to warm up.  And then got up and got back in the water so now the water is filled with dirt and grass.  Great.
In my last post I talked about the sleeping bags as unexpected toys but here is an even cheaper one.  Water spray bottles.  My kids have had countless hours spraying these things on everything.  Mostly bugs.  I think this one cost me 99 cents.  Can't beat that!
And to top off our day outside Tyler went in and surprised me and Jacob, each with our own plate of goodies.  Tyler did it all completely by himself.  A tangerine, saltines and skittles.  Not too shabby--he did give himself a few extra Skittles, and by a few I mean about 20....but I can't complain because he gave me the pink plate "because you are a girl and girls like pink."
All in all it was a successful afternoon.  Definitely worth the effort of getting out the pool/cool.  Plus, to top it off, we don't even have to pay for water here at Fort Irwin.  Does it get any better?  Not in my book.

2 comments:

Katie L. said...

What a great day! Your boys make me laugh! The way you write it I can only imagine being there myself!

Hillary said...

Okay, that new picture of Maggie is to die for...she is so precious. The pictures of the boys are cute too! Looks like they had a lot of fun and stayed cool. Tyler is turning into quite the young man, isn't he!