Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Magic Kingdom

Disneyland, the so-called "magic kingdom."  I am here to attest that it indeed is magic...it magically makes all my expectations of happy, grateful children disappear.  Before going, I think to myself, "Oh, won't this be so fun, the kids will have such a great time.  We are making memories!  They will be so happy!"  Well.....it didn't pan out that way this trip.  I took Jacob and Tyler to Disneyland yesterday for a few hours while my mom watched Maggie.  We start out fine, then after a while the boys get hungry.  This is where it all unravels.  Tyler gets a churro.  Jake gets popcorn.  Mom wants to share both but do you think that happens?  So mom gets a fruit bowl.  Then we need drinks.  And after not too long the trip I thought would be free (because we got in on our season passes) ends up costing me all the cash in my wallet.  

As a side note here, I did read an article about how Disneyland "tricks" you into buying stuff.  Such details as all the roads are slightly curved so you have to look at all the stores/eateries instead of zoning out on a straightway....they put fans in the treat shops to blow yummy smells out onto the street to make your mouth water until you think you can't possibly live without cotton candy another minute...etc.  So you see, me and the boys are just innocent victims in all of this....

Back to the story, so after all this Tyler wants some Cheetos.  Well, after spending all that there was no way I was going to spend 4 dollars on an itty-bitty bag of Cheetos that I can get for 50 cents at the grocery store.  Tyler think this is the end of the world.  He starts getting grumpy, Jacob copies because he copies everything Tyler does, and now after selling one kidney to buy season passes and the other to buy snacks for the day I have 2 boys who are whining incessantly about how they "Never get anything."  The only thing that keeps me from reacting the way I wanted to was the fact that I was surrounded by millions of people.  

So we went back today (against my better judgement) but I packed a big bag full of healthy snacks and made it clear to each of them beforehand that under no circumstances were we buying any food today.  They both agreed and what do you think happened?  No whining (about food anyway), no complaining.  Just polite requests for Wheat Thins or graham crackers.  So I guess that's the secret.  The less I do for my kids the better they behave.  So I did learn something out of all of that.  Plus, the best part about it all?  Both boys were ASKING to go to bed at 7:00 tonight.  That is one request I had no problem giving in to....

3 comments:

Genni said...

Hey I hear ya..we just spent three days at Disneyland last week. I did bring snacks but by the third day we were all in a Disney coma..."must have Disney snacks...":)

Morgan said...

Not to mention that you are left completely without a kidney! :)

So this is what I have to look forward to! I will definitely be packing lots of my own snacks for the kiddos.

Hillary said...

What a headache! Way to brave it without Eric. First off, I wish we lived close to Disney land and had season passess. Second, I learned a long time ago that once you buy one thing for kids, it goes down hill from then on...so yes, packing snacks is A MOM MUST!