Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Original Gift


I just watched a Christmas video about the birth and life of the Savior (thanks to a reconnection with an old friend) and it really touched me.  As I watched the baby Jesus in the video, I looked at my own little Maggie.  I thought about not only all the wonderful things Christ did for us in his life, but what Heavenly Father did for us.  I look at my children and ponder about what it would have been like for Heavenly Father.  To have your only child born on earth, to bring joy to the world, but knowing that he would be scorned, persecuted and crucified.  Knowing that you could stop it at any time but holding yourself back as you watch horrible things happening to your child, so that you could save the rest of mankind.  I look at Maggie's little face, and think of the Savior as a little baby and I know that I could not have made that sacrifice.    But I am so grateful that Heavenly Father did.  As hard as it must have been for Him,  and I feel an incredible responsibility to not waste that gift given to me. 
    I hope that this holiday season, and all year long, we can remember the original gift and the sacrifice it took so that we never take for granted that incredible blessing.  I want to quote Melvin J. Ballard: "He had the power to save and He loved His son, and He could have saved Him.  He might have rescued him from the insult of the crowds.  He might have rescued him when the crown of thorns was placed upon his head.  He might have rescued him when the son...was mocked...He saw that son condemned; he saw him drag the cross through the streets...He saw the son finally upon Calvary; He saw his body stretched out upon the wooden cross; he saw the cruel nails driven through hands and feet....and let out the life's blood of His Only Begotten Son...He looked on all that with grief and agony over His Beloved Child....In that hour I think I can see our dear Father...looking upon these dying struggles...His great heart almost breaking for the love that He had for His son.  Oh in that moment when He might have saved His son, I thank Him and praise Him that He did not fail us...I rejoice that He did not interfere, and that His love for us made it possible for Him to endure to look upon the sufferings of His only begotten son and give him finally to us, our Savior..."  I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and may the spirit of the season stay with us all year.

2 comments:

Katie L. said...

What a great message! Thanks! We can't wait to see you guys! I am up at mom's right now and she is all ready for you!

allison nadauld said...

What a wonderful testimony. Thanks for sharing!