Sunday, May 1, 2011

Catching up....

Well, I know it has been a while and for that I am sorry. Life has been extremely busy and hectic and crazy the past month. We are now moved into our new house in Utah (pictures to follow--the house isn't put together yet so it will be a little bit longer) and Tyler is loving school and the neighborhood. There are tons of kids here. Just a bit of brief catching up..

Tyler was in flag football before we left Fort Irwin--he loved it! He was totally into every game and his team was awesome--they were undefeated. It was nice to see him in a sport he loved.
Our last couple weeks there, we had to cram in a few activities--you know, the kind you keep telling yourself you will get to but then the end comes around and you realize you still haven't done them! We went to the Fort Irwin Museum, pretty interesting! The kids loved the tanks outside the building...who wouldn't?
Then we climbed all over the painted rocks. If you've been to Fort Irwin you know exactly what I am talking about--as you pull into post there is a huge rock pile, more like boulders, all painted by the units that have come through Fort Irwin. There a ton of them, and a ton of rocks. Some are pretty badly weather beaten, some are okay, but some are just dang awesome. The pile is pretty high but the boys went hog wild--climbing as high as they could get. It was so much fun...this is one activity I wish we had done more of. Free + Fun = My kind of afternoon.


As per Fort Irwin tradition, we made a stop on our last day there as a family to "Kiss the Coyote." First a family shot (sans Dad who had to take the picture...)
Now the kissing...
Maggie didn't quite grasp the concept. She just kept looking at the camera saying, "Cheese!" And I told the boys to watch out for any bird droppings!

After some stressful days of repainting, packers and movers we got checked out and off we headed to Utah. We stopped off for a few days as my mom's, which the kids loved of course. On to Utah, we stayed with Eric's parents for a couple weeks which was very very generous of them. Finally got into our house and are still in the process of unpacking. As I said earlier, I will got some house pictures once it is put together more.

Yesterday we ran (walked) in a 5K fund raiser Hope for Sarah. It is for a woman, Sarah, who has stomach cancer. She knows Jessica's family (Eric's sister) and so we decided to do it as a family. We got up Saturday morning and it was freezing! Even snowing a bit. (I never thought I'd miss Fort Irwin heat, but...) But we decided to brave it anyway...we're creating memories, right? So we bundled up...
Got our numbers...(Right after this pic Jacob asked Eric, "What's this number? Is that how fast I am?" So cute.)

Tried to convince Joey we weren't crazy for getting him out there in the cold...
And set off running. Eric ran ahead and finished in about 7th place I think. He did well, Tyler ran ahead and I lost track, I lagged behind with Maggie, Joey and Jacob (yeah, I wondered how I got stuck with that lot myself....). Turns out Tyler is a running fool! He ran the whole way and did so good--beat a lot of grown-ups! You can see a bunch of adults behind him and this was at the end of the race. We were really proud he did so well and tried to hard.
Well, as you can guess, we've done a lot more than this, but I have got to take baby steps to get back into my routine. So for now, this is what you get. But just know we are having a good time here, but miss all our friends in California a LOT LOT LOT! Hope to see some of them soon....

2 comments:

Jeri Calder said...

What a great shot of Tyler running! You are a brave bunch to go on the 5K walk/run in such cold weather. I wish I could package up some of my southern California warm weather and send it to you. Can't wait to see the pictures of the house as you get it decorated.

Genni said...

Glad the move went well and you are finally settling in. At least you are heading into summer there so it will feel more like home. :)