Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Parting is such sweet sorrow

Our time here at Fort Irwin is now drawing to a close, another chapter of our lives ended. We are definitely excited about our future, and some of you may think that we are elated in every possible way to leave our isolated desert home. But in truth, leaving Fort Irwin is bittersweet.

No, I will not miss having to fill 4 callings at church and having Sundays be my busiest day of the week. I will not miss 120 degree temps in the summer when even a dip in the pool can't make the heat less unbearable. I will not miss driving over and hour just to go out to eat (or anything else)...and that is to Denny's anyway. I will not miss a house so cramped we have a baby sleeping in the closet. I will not miss the grocery store (commissary) that has only slightly more selection than a 7-11. I will not miss the tank target practice rumbling my walls and knocking things off my shelves. And I won't miss the constant control the army keeps over our lives.

But, I will miss all my wonderful friends I have made here. I will miss the beautiful sunsets that I get a perfect view of from my back porch. I will miss the excitement in my children's eyes when they watch the helicopters zoom overhead (by the way, that never gets old). I will miss the mild winters when I can take my kids to the park. I will miss the serenity and quietness that comes with living in the desert. But most of all I will miss this place for the mere fact that this is where my family grew up. When we got here, we were a family of four, and Jacob was barely over a year old. We've added 4 years onto our married life, doubled our kids, and they call this place home. Tyler spent the bulk of his "little-boyhood" here. We've got great friends who will be dearly missed and are required to visit us every time they are in Utah (you know who you are...). Fort Irwin has been a challenge at times, but overall she has treated our family well. We will always look back on this time in our lives with a tender spot in our hearts for Fort Irwin....just don't think that means we would EVER come back!!!

Our kids when we moved here...


Our kids now...

My how time flies....

2 comments:

Jeri Calder said...

Yes, your leaving Fort Irwin is truly bittersweet. I'm so happy that you will be leaving behind all the hardships endured at Fort Irwin, but my heart aches for the end of having you live 2 hours away, of having my grandkids come in my front door with their arms outstretched, running to give me a big hug. I will miss them playing in the hot tub, the toy room, and eating tons of Skittles! It's been a great 4 years for me, and I feel so blessed to have been able to become so close to my sweet grandchildren. I truly am happy for you to be moving on to bigger and better things, but it's surely going to be a sad time for me .... :-(

Boian Family said...

Although Fort Irwin had many challenges, it was truly a special place to me. I think what made it so special were the amazing people that I met. I think about you and your boys a lot Kelly and I hope this new chapter in your life is filled with an abundance of blessings. You guys finally made it through your stint in the Army and I can't imagine how excited you are to be moving on! I am really happy and excited for you guys!!!!