Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Red Balloon

Guess who got her first tooth?  You can't see it in these pictures--it is too small.  But it is there!  Finally.  I loved her huge gummy smile and am a little sad to see it go, it was a very infectious smile.  But I am sure she will be just as fun with teeth.  

Eric and I went to Vegas for a couple days last week to celebrate a combination of both our birthdays and anniversary.  My mom came out and watched the kids for us.  They had so much fun.  She set up an obstacle course around the room and the boys had fun.  She took a few pictures but this was my favorite...
Jacob was completing part of the obstacle course when Maggie decided to join in!  She crawled right under his legs.  She is so funny!  

Up next is Jacob at his preschool "Fiesta" party.  The kids did a little dance and songs.  It was so cute and hilarious.  Jacob actually did the movements better than any of the other kids.  He even had a small speaking part.  He was very proud of himself.  He is also loving school.  She tries to copy everything Tyler does--so if Tyler has homework, Jacob has to have homework.  Occasionally they do have small assignments but I usually end up making something up.  And if Tyler has things in his backpack, Jacob has to have things in his backpack, it doesn't matter what it is (see the following picture...).

Yes, rocks.  Like I said, if Tyler's got things in his backpack, Jacob will find whatever is available to put in there.  I picked up his backpack the other day and thought, "Man, this is really heavy for having only an empty folder in it!"  Lo and behold I find an entire front pocket full of rocks from our front "yard".  Maybe he's just trying to put on a little muscle?  He has been talking a lot lately about growing up.  He'll say, "Mommy, I'm gonna drink milk and grow big and bigger and bigger and so tall that I will step on everyone."  He also says that with the ending of "so I can touch the sky, like Daddy."  Silly kid.  I just hope he doesn't step on me!  

Tyler said something cute the other day too.  We were talking about how everyone on earth is a child of God.  I told Tyler, "Even I am a child of God."  He looked at me and said, "No your not."  I was a little worried until he followed it up with, "You are a grown-up of God."  Love it.

Does anyone remember that weird movie, "The Red Balloon"?  Well, today we went to "town" (aka Barstow--a stretch, I know) and the kids had a red balloon with a blue ribbon attached to it.  As we were getting out of the car at the outlets it blew out of the car and scuttled away along the ground.  It was VERY windy so we didn't bother to go get it--we would've been chasing it for an hour.  Well, we go into our store and spend about 15 minutes there.  As we were winding down our purchases, we happen to look over by a round clothes hanger and guess what we found?  Our red balloon, complete with blue ribbon.  Now how it ended up in there is a mystery, but apparently it must have felt like it belonged to us.  So, my boys picked it up to bring it home.  Well, the poor balloon didn't make it all the way...Jacob popped it after a few minutes.  That balloon didn't know what he was getting himself into.


3 comments:

Hillary said...

I totally remember the Red Balloon...how fun! That picture of Jacob in his fiesta hat is SO cute! Your boys remind me so much of mine. Joshua always has the oddest things in his backpack and to him they are treasures. If I ever through the rock or string away, he always notices! By the way....Happy Birthday!

Jeri Calder said...

A tooth?? Part of me just doesn't want Maggie to grow up! I am very familiar with Jacob's heavy backpack....each day I was there he meticulously put a wide variety of things in his backpack....including rocks, scraps of paper, Skittles, toys, dry cereal.....

Morgan said...

I remember those fiesta programs!! I loved seeing the kiddos doing the Mexican Hat Dance!!

Where did you stay in Vegas? What did you do?