Friday, December 6, 2013

No you aren't hallucinating....

I am here.  And I'll tell you why--I lost my resolve to keep up my blog a while ago.  They have kind of fizzled out of fashion because most people these days turn to facebook or twitter to keep the world updated on their lives.  I, however, am under no pretenses that ANYONE cares what I ate for breakfast, that Joey peed his pants, or that I am watching "The Biggest Loser" while eating candy.  In fact, the whole reason I kept a blog in the first place was not to inform the world of my day to day, it was a way for me to keep a family journal for my kids to look back on.  And let me tell you...they LOVE looking at all the old posts.  No one can deny that looking at pictures and reading about yourself when you were little is thrilling.  So guess what, after ALL these years I finally figured out how to make it into a book!!  Not that it is at all hard, it is just one of those things you keep putting off for...ohhh....5 or 6 years.  (Yikes--had it really been that long???)  So I ordered it today!  Considering the time span it covers it will probably be 500 pages long, but my life is just that interesting.  I can't help it.  Yes, I know I can keep it indefinitely on the internet, or even saved as a digital file on my computer, but I just have this thing about having something tangible.  Example--we got a Kindle reader a year ago and guess how many books I've read on it?  About 1/100th.  I just couldn't do it--half the satisfaction of reading comes from feeling the pages in your hands, turning them, the smell of the paper.  Is that weird?   I'm sure in 10 years physical books will be a thing of the past, but I will wait until then to make the switch.  Heck, I was still using VHS tapes when they didn't even SELL them anymore.  I'm in no rush. So I don't know how often I will post or how long I will keep it up, but for now I will try to be back in the swing.  I don't care if people read it--I am doing for myself and my family, a chronicle of our lives.  The good, the bad and the ugly.

One funny note to start us off--we were reading scriptures together as a family last night and talked about building on the foundation of Christ.  We were attempting to explain what that meant, so we asked the kids what the most important part of our house was.  We all agreed even though it is tall with gables and stone on the outside, that it is foundation in the basement that is what makes it strong.  Eric turned to Jake and asked, "What if the basement floor was made of marshmallows?"  (You get where he was going with it...)  Jacob, serious as a heart attack and without missing a beat, replied: "I'd eat it."

2 comments:

Jeri Calder said...

Well, I am absolutely thrilled to the max that you have decided to keep up your blog again! Just like your kids, I lOVE looking back at old memories of your life, pictures and stories of things you have all done. It's especially fun when I see pictures of your visits out here…..all of them are cherished memories. Keep up the good work!!!

The Jeppson Family said...

I still read your blog! I actually was wondering what you used to make your book? I have started doing the same thing, but going by year. My process is very long and arduous, so am wondering if there is an easier way out there...I am sure there is, cuz I usually like to do things the hard way ;)