Sunday, July 25, 2010

Princesses and Parties

I've had a few requests to put up some pics of Maggie's new big girl bed. It is an adjustable bed so I can be this length, a couple feet longer or twin size. So she can grow into it. It looks so cute in her room. She wasn't too sure of it at first but now she loves it.
She loves the little light we put by her bed too--she turns it on to read a book and then off to go to sleep. Of course it takes a little prompting from me or Eric but she gets excited to do it!

Tyler had his birthday party a few days ago. It was a "Mad Scientist" party (no, I am not a party genius--I got the idea off the internet). I decorated with green crepe paper and tablecloth. Then for the centerpieces I had a green jello mold filled with bugs, jars of colored liquid with weird things in them, spoons, jars, frogs, etc.
As each of the kids arrived they got to put on their own "lab coat" with their name and radiation symbol in it, goggles and blue lab gloves. I even had green pray paint for their hair but decided to pass on it.
We spent most of the party doing fun experiments. We made bottles bubble over using vinegar and baking soda, made cool milk food coloring designs (below)...
tye-dyed t-shirts for them to take home....

made a coke bottle explode using mentos...
each kid got to make their very own "flubber" using borax, water and glue (it actually bounces!)...
and a few other smaller experiments. The kids all had so much fun. Then they got to decorate their own cupcakes making their own gross colors of frosting (most of which turned out brown). I was a fun party and all the kids loved it, especially Tyler. It was nice to have a fun party since he only invited 3 kids (all his friends have moved away and one was on vacation). So with so few kids I was able to do something a little more involved. It made him feel special. After all, they are only young once, get ONE party a year and even then only get them for a few years. It was fun to plan anyway.

Lastly, I tried to do Maggie's hair like Aunt Jessica did. Mine didn't turn out nearly as neat or cute, but it was a valiant first attempt. I will just have to keep practicing!

5 comments:

Katie L. said...

Her hair looks really cute! You should see when I try to do Ashley's! It takes practice! I love the room and that party looked so fun. I'll have to try some of those things!

Jeri Calder said...

Wow, what a fantastic party! You get the "super Mom" award for that one. Maggie's bed looks adorable, perfectly suited for the little princess she is! And I love her pigtails!

Hillary said...

She looks SO cute in piggies! Her room is darling, what a little princess. Great party for Tyler...now you have his Halloween costume all ready (that was what Nate was last year!)

Jessica said...

Her hair looks soooo cute! You did a good job. I will say doing girls hair takes practice. Just ask Katie, she hates it when she has to do my girls hair! What a cute birthday party. I forgot to give Tyler his present so I sent it with Grandma's package!

Boian Family said...

Maggie looks super cute in her piggies! I love a little girl with pig tails, super cute. I love her big girl bed too. Sooo girlie! Wish we could have been there for the party, looked like sooo much fun!!! I bet the kids had a blast.