Friday, February 26, 2010

My Little Hero

Yesterday was the big day. For those who don't know, Jacob had his tonsils and adenoids removed. We got up bright and early at 4:45 a.m., got everyone ready, dropped Tyler and Maggie off with a friend and went on our way. It is a long drive to the hospital and it was difficult to explain to Jacob why he couldn't have anything to drink or eat. He was very thirsty and hungry. But he went with the flow pretty well. We got to the hospital and Jacob got to put on his "special pajamas." He liked that they were "blue-ish green-ish."

Normally they wait until little kids are asleep to give them their IV but it is much better if you can get it in before. Because he had done so well the day before getting his blood drawn they decided to try to put in his IV. He wasn't too excited about it, but didn't complain. He watched the nurse as she did it. She tried to put it in the back of his hand and he said, "Ouch ouch ouch! That hurts!" He didn't cry but his face looked like he wanted to. But the nurse couldn't get the vein so she had to pull it out and do it again in his elbow pit (I don't know what that part of your arm is called....). He didn't really whine for that one, I think he was just mostly not wanting to have do have it stuck in his arm AGAIN.
She got the vein and Jacob was SO good about not pulling on it or bending his arm too much. It was so funny because for all the rest of the day, even after we got home, he kept trying not to move that arm. We kept telling him it was okay but I think he was just doing it out of habit.
He was a trooper the whole time. I could tell he was getting a little nervous (see below) as we walked into the surgery department. Eric and I could only walk to the doorway, then they had to take him the rest of the way to the room alone. He never cried, just was quiet and watched. What a brave little guy.
All the doctors were amazed that he already had an IV in and then that he hadn't been pulling at it. Eric and I waited in the waiting room and after about half an hour the doctor came out and said everything went great. He actually said he normally takes the adenoids out first but Jacob's tonsils were so big he couldn't even get past them to get to the adenoids. So he had to do his routine backwards and take out his tonsils first. No biggie, but that just shows how BIG his tonsils were! The doc also commented on how brave Jacob was. He had never seen a 3-year-old so "stoic", as he put it. He said after they got into the surgery room Jacob was so good, never whined, helped them hold the mask on his face, etc. Good! We went back to recovery. The doctor said that Jacob better be crying otherwise there is something wrong with him! Well, he finally was. It was the anesthesia wearing off. He was a little agitated and wouldn't sit still until I was able to get him on my lap. Then he really settled down when Eric held him...he loves his daddy! He rested for a while after that.
He has done better than I expected. He drank some juice and ate some yogurt and ice cream and popsicles at home. He has complained a few times that his throat hurts, and I know it does, but he doesn't cry about it. He is doing well, we are just trying to get him to drink/eat as much as we can. Hopefully he will feel a lot better in a few days. As a side note, his voice already sounds different. I wonder what he will sound like when all the swelling goes down....

7 comments:

allison nadauld said...

Wow! He is really brave, braver than me in fact. I pass out with needles. Good job Jacob!

Katie L. said...

I am so glad that it went so well! What a trooper!!!

Boian Family said...

What an awesome little boy! I just want to pick him up and squeeze him. Let him know how proud Miss Laurie is of him. What a trooper!!!

Hillary said...

What a brave little guy! So glad it went well...and now he can be the happy Jacob that has been surpressed inside!

Genni said...

What a sweet little guy! Hope he feels his normal self soon!

Morgan said...

Oh my! He is so brave! I am glad everything went so well and despite the painful throat....I hope he is totally loving the popsicle life right now.

Jessica said...

The girls want to say "I hope you get feeling better soon" - Kaylee and "I love him" - Ashley. We are so proud of him, way to be so brave! I hope things only get better!