Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Medical Miracle

Somehow Maggie managed to get her shirt above her head like this--yes, she did this completely by herself! She thought it was the funnest thing EVER and ran around the house laughing for like 20 minutes. Once she got bored with that then she kept putting her blanket over her head. So I tied it around her and for the next 20 minutes she thought THAT was the funnest thing ever. Wouldn't it be great to be so easily amused?
Today while I was in the shower I thought it was strange that Maggie didn't come in the bathroom and pull back the shower curtain over and over like she normally does. So after I went scouring the house (which was oddly silent) and getting a little worried that I couldn't find Maggie, I look over behind the kitchen table next to our shoe basket and this is what I saw....
Dead asleep on the floor. It was so pathetic looking! Poor little baby....

Tomorrow is Jacob's surgery. Today he had his pre-op appointments and had to get a blood draw from his arm. I was so worried because he has actually been really excited for his surgery and I thought this would totally scare him out of going tomorrow. So I prepared for the worst and watched as the 2 nurses came in. Jacob laid down on the table, put his arm out, they put the rubber band tourniquet on. Here it comes......Jacob watched calmly and didn't even flinch as he watched them put the needle in and the vial fill up with blood. He didn't make a peep or complain or cry or anything! That child is a miracle, and tough as nails! He told me it hurt a little bit but he was being brave. Even the nurses were shocked. How many 3 year olds can get a blood draw without even flinching? I was so proud of him I bought him 2 suckers, a bag of chips and gave him a quarter. Totally worth it!

4 comments:

Jeri Calder said...

I can't imagine that Jacob actually watched them draw blood from his arm!!! I can't even watch when they draw blood from me!! He certainly doesn't take after his grandmother in that regard. Hope the surgery goes well...wish I could be there with you. Little Maggie is still such a cutie, you just never get tired of looking at her!

Katie L. said...

Wow! I remember when they put Ben's IV in...they had 4 nurses in there holding him down and he ended up throwing up everywhere! Ha! Lucky you! Good luck tomorrow! Maggie is too cute!

allison nadauld said...

I LOVE that she fell asleep--what a cutie. I can't believe Jacob didn't cry. Mary cries just looking at the doctor. Good luck with the surgery. What's he having done?

Boian Family said...

Maggie is just too cute for words! Love her little shirt too. Jacob is one brave little boy. What is he having done? I hope all is well.