Thursday, September 7, 2017

Work Hard, Play Hard

More fun stuff to post!  I found this picture of Tyler and Eric from their pack trip.  Thought it was sweet so I'm posting it even though it is super late...

We've spent a few fun afternoons hanging out at Jessica's pool.  It's always the perfect temperature!  And you can't beat lounging around on a giant swan...

A couple days before school started I took the kids to Boondocks with my mom.  Jake had been there but none of the rest of us had.  It was super fun!  We bought a day pass and the kids went to town.  Their favorite activity was the go-karts.  It was super kid-oriented so they even had a track with slightly slower cars that Joey could even drive by himself!  I was a little nervous about him crashing and not being able to drive but he did awesome.  I think he's about ready to get his license!



Boondocks also had these fun boats that were motorized and had a super powerful water gun on them.  Let the war begin!
The kids' favorite was the cars, but mine was definitely the XD Theater.  Basically you sit in a dark room and watch a 3-D adventure where you have to use the laser guns to shoot the bad guys.  The parents (if they aren't participating) get to stand outside and watch the kids reaction on the screen below...
Let me just tell you, it was hilarious.  The kids first did a Zombie Attack one.  I didn't think they would be scary, but I was WRONG!  (Take note people, that doesn't happen very often.)  At first the kids seemed fine and having fun shooting zombies, but then there were times they screamed, Joey started crying, and Tyler was trying to cover Joey's eyes.  At this point I'm thinking, what did I get them into?!  I couldn't see the actual movie but watching their reactions was priceless.  Then at the end they all screamed together...apparently a zombie jumps out.  It was seriously funny watching them...Tyler and Jake liked it, but Maggie and Joey not so much.  I couldn't get Joey to go back in for hours (to do a less-scary one--they had 3 different shows).  But all in all it was a fun day and a great way to end summer days.

A couple weeks ago there was a total eclipse coming over part of the U.S.  In our area it was only 90% coverage, but up north in Idaho they got the total eclipse.  We thought about going up there to see it, because I've heard they are awesome, but we figured the traffic would be horrendous (we were right--it took some friends of our 13 hours to get home--it's only a 5 hour drive).  But we decided to bring a picnic up into the mountains--we would watch the eclipse and Tyler could practice shooting his new rifle he got for his birthday.  Ready, Aim, FIRE!  He's a dead eye--hit the bullseye first shot...after Eric sighted it in for him.
The eclipse was pretty cool--not as neat as a total one, but it got darker, and the temperature dropped quite a bit.  We had our solar glasses, but you can see the crescent of the sun in the shadows through the leaves...
Eric and Tyler enjoying the show....
And then there was Jake....
We brought Ziggy up with us.  And as usual she had a blast.  It is so fun watching her run around in the mountains...she prances like a deer, jumping and bounding around.  You can just feel her JOY!

Tyler decided to try his hand/foot at football this year.  It is a lot of practice, averages 2 hours each day.  Then games on Saturday nights.  We weren't sure if he'd get any playing time since he's a rookie, but he's gotten to play about half of each game so far!  So we are pleasantly surprised, as is he.  He is loving it for sure....but he come home from practice VERY stinky--teenage boy sweat.  It is like nothing I have ever smelled---PHEW!  Lot of laundry and windows down on the drive home.

Jake has a new friend this summer, Chase.  They are basically joined at the hip.  Everyday they want to hang out.  They go on bike rides a lot and seem to always get free stuff--they got free fries at McDonalds, free candy at the gas station and something else I can't remember.  Lucky kids!  They helped Chase's dad build this bridge and were pretty proud of themselves!


Jake's been building bridges and we've been working in the backyard....just like ALL SUMMER LONG!  I swear it will never end.  We just put in a border around the trampoline hole--it turned out pretty nice!  We even set the trampoline up so now the kids can play!

Over the Labor Day weekend, we thought about going camping with some friends, but Eric had had enough of the outdoors this summer.  I reminded him that although HE went on all those fun trips, he left US behind.  So I told him if he didn't want to go camping that was fine, but we were going to do SOMETHING....and something NOT at home since we both knew we would just end up working in the yard the whole weekend.  So we did a little staycation.  We got a hotel room in Salt Lake and spent some time in Park City shopping, in Salt Lake at a fun candy store, and a lot of hotel swimming!  We also went and saw Music and the Spoken Word on Temple Square (I stayed in the hotel with Joey since you have to be 8 years old) and then we all did a garden tour of Temple Square after that.  Eric and I thought that was pretty cool, but the kids thought it was torture.  HA!  Here we are after just checking in to the hotel...the kids needed an etiquette lesson on sharing a bathroom with 6 people....this was their lecture....
We also went out by Mirror Lake and did a "hike" (if you can call it that) and played in the river.  It was really beautiful.  The river was shallow enough that the kids could walk in it, which they promptly did...in their tennis shoes.  So we just went along.  Lots of cool boulders and shale, really a neat place.


Despite the grandeur of nature, the inspiration on temple, the plethora of candy at Rocket Fizz...the highlight of the trip (for the kids) was the hotel pool.  Of course they wanted to play in it all the time.
Eric and I even got in on the action, but Dad was the hit of the party--he was strong enough to throw the little kids around.  Here's a sequence of one of Maggie's flips.  Launch off the shoulders...
Tight tuck and turn....
Feet first water entry...
And SPLASH!  He must have done it a hundred times.
Tyler and Joey liked hanging out in the hot tub.
And what pool party would be complete without a splash war?  Tyler I think has mastered the art of the water splash.  But Jake held his own.
And try as they might, the boys could NOT dunk their dad--he's too buff.  They tried to no avail and finally gave up.  So I guess Eric remains king of the pool.

And as I close this blog post you might be wondering about the first day of school...well, it went great, and it is great having all the kids in school all day.  Especially because of how busy life seems once 3:00 hits--I'm driving here and there and everywhere.  But I love having the time during the day to get things done, eat lunch and use the bathroom uninterrupted, and just enjoy the peace and quiet and the house not being messy 5 seconds after I clean it.  You might also be wondering about first day of school pictures!!  Well, there are none (hiding my head in shame).  I don't know what happened to my brain...it might be the craziness of trying to get ready, the busy breakfast making, the bleary eyed having to get up early, or just the sheer excitement of knowing I would have the day to myself...but whatever happened in my brain, I just plumb forgot to take pictures.  Then I thought about it a couple days after school started after seeing some friends/family posting pictures of their kids, but by that point the moment had past.  What would I caption it?  "Hooray!  3rd day of 6th Grade!"  Not quite the impact.  So, this year comes and goes without first day of school pictures.  But that's ok--a shrug of my shoulders and knowing those awkward school pics will be coming soon makes me feel okay!  Happy school days!

1 comment:

Jeri Calder said...

so I eagerly read your latest blog update, enjoying all the stories and pictures, looking forward to the firsts day of school pictures, which you will SURELY include this post! Ha, ha. Got me. I'll forgive you because the rest of the blog was filled with all the fun times you guys had this past month. Enjoyed reading it and looking at all the pictures!