Sunday, May 18, 2014

Family on Fire

Last November we closed on a land lot of 5.26 acres.  Crazy, huh?  Who would've thought I'd be a farmer's wife?  Just kidding.  It is a great piece of land, great location, really beautiful, and we are very excited and hope to start building on it soon.  But before we could do that we (and by "we" of course I mean "Eric") had to clear out some brush from under a group of scrub oak trees.  Eric spent a lot of time over there piling it all up, then we got a burn permit and had a big burn party!  

 The pictures don't do it justice.  The flames were HUGE and HOT!  We couldn't even get within 15 feet of the fire it was so hot it would burn your face.  The kids had a blast playing.
 Tyler and Jake helped stack up some firewood Eric was cutting.  Here is Tyler probably getting a lecture about working hard and not goofing off.

 We invited family down and roasted Peeps leftover from Easter.  You can see the fire was so hot we actually had to pull a stick out of the fire to roast the Peeps over.  They were actually VERY tasty--and I don't even like Peeps!
 The other hightight lately is that Tyler eared his Arrow of Light for Scouts!

He worked hard to earn it and we are very proud of him.  

Things continue to move along with the land.  We FINALLY finished the well--the first one they kept having problems (broken drill bits, cracked casings, etc.) so the guy actually just gave up on that one and drilled a new one about 3 feet away and finished it in a week.  We've got lots of water so that's good!  I have a few pictures of the well being dug.  It's definitely a crazy idea for me to think of living on a huge plot of land, drinking well water.  Guess I'm a country girl now!

1 comment:

Jeri Calder said...

Who ever thought I'd be the mother of a farmer's wife, huh???? Definitely sounds weird, but I'm sure we will get used to it :). The land does look beautiful. And I'm very very proud of Tyler earning his Arrow of Light award….now that I'm a cub scout leader, I know how much is involved in earning that award. I'm so proud of that wonderful grandson of mine.