Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Wisdom from the Past

I have been recently compiling interesting stories about people in my family (and Eric's) to make a little Swenson Family Binder that will have some of our traditions written in it, a family tree, stories of our ancestors and our family motto and mission statement. In making it, I have been reading through a lot of things written by my grandmother and came across a quick story that rings so true. She is talking about when she was a girl and would go with her mother to visit friends several states away...

"It was a joy and an amazing thing to me when Mr. Fischer (he owned a grocery store) would take me to his store, after it was closed. He had a key! We would all go in there and I could have anything I wanted! That was really living because in those days candy was not a common part of what we ate. Eskimo Pies were my favorite…an ice cream bar covered in chocolate. When you do not have a great deal even those little things are a real treat and event in your life. I am happy to have had those experiences because it concerns me that in this day and age most things are old hat to children. They do not know the joy of such special treats as going to a shop and getting a cold soda, or a fresh hamburger! Well, I would not trade those experiences for the over-abundance of things available now. What is really left to bring a thrill to the children?"

I agree whole-heartedly. Does anyone else think their kids have it WAAAAYYY too easy? I seriously sit and think of ways to make life harder for my kids....

2 comments:

Jeri Calder said...

I totally agree......life was simpler way back then, people got along with much less, and what they did get, they totally appreciated. With our over abundance of practically everything, we lose the thrill and excitement of so many pleasures in life. When you have so much, it ends up that very little brings you real excitement and joy. Many things are much easier in these current times, but then again, many of life's simple pleasures are lost to us. today's motto seems to be: we want it all, and we want it now!

Penrod Family said...

I could not agree more! Ben and I are saving our pennies so one day we can take that one humbling trip that will hopefully make my boys into better men one day. Where that trip will be it has not yet been decided but we are leaning towards Haiti. We are trying to find more and more ways to serve with our kids, but still they have everything and anything they will ever need. Great post,