Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Look at that Shiner!

Maggie's new favorite things is bathing in the sink. It all started when she had a BAD (and I mean BAAAAAD) diaper rash. The doctor recommended letting her sit in an oatmeal bath. Well, I sure as all get out wasn't going to fill my bathtub up with oats to clean up so I plugged up the sink and let her sit in there. Boy was it a hit! Don't worry, I cleaned it all and gave her a new washrag to chew on. She loved it and it actually made preparing dinner a little easier!

Next is a sad sad picture....look at that black eye!
It is way worse in person. Poor Magster fell down the stairs on Monday. She literally toppled head over heels like a log. I tried to get to her in time, but obviously was not successful. But, she survived and was back climbing the stairs a few minutes later. And now she has her first battle wound...

Lastly, is my farewell to my nice Christmas tree. Growing up my family always had the tackiest Christmas tree--ornaments were mostly homemade, a little cheesy and strung helter -skelter. Bust the reason is that my mom allowed my sister and I to decorate it ourselves, and all those crazy looking ornaments meant something to us. So when I got old enough to have my own tree, I decided I wanted a very nice-looking, fancy tree. So that is what I have had since I have been married. Oh, the boys bring home ornaments they make at school but we find other places to hang them. But this year, as I was setting up my tree, I realized what a lame-o I am. I was actually decorating the tree myself while the kids and Eric were in the other room--I think I win the boring mom award for that (I didn't tell them they couldn't help--they didn't want to, no doubt because those boring fancy ornaments did not interest them in the slightest). So I have decided once and for all to bring back the fun of putting up and decorating the tree. I will bid farewell to my beautiful tree this year and starting next year I will begin a collection of tacky sentimental tree decorations. I may even get some silver tinsel to put on it. Because I remember my fondest memories of Christmas was getting to decorate the tree how I wanted, and putting each ornament up, thinking of how I got it or what it meant to me. My mom was great to let us do that. So farewell fancy Christmas, I am joining the "Kid Tree" clan, and I know it will lead to many more happy memories. Goodbye tree, see you when our youngest moves out!

5 comments:

Erin said...

You could always have two trees. Personally, I just let the kids mix in their ornaments with mine.

Jeri Calder said...

Did you know I still kept most of those memorable childhood ornaments, and I hang them on my tree each year! Every time I put one of them up, it brings back so many wonderful memories. I loved all of our Christmases with my two daughters, they were just the best times. Next year's Christmas tree at your house won't look quite as fancy as this year's, but it will be more beautiful in a very special way, and you and your children will come to treasure each and every ornament you collect!

Hillary said...

She is such cutie, even with a black eye! Love the new bathtime routine. Now I feel really guilty about decorating my tree too! I do it by myself every year, guess it is time to change the tradition. Someday, we will live in a big enough house that we can have 2 trees, one for the kids and one for the moms!

Boian Family said...

Your tree is really beautiful Kelly, but next year it will be even more so. You are such a good Mom and when you and your family decorate it together and make the ornaments together you are going to be creating some wonderful memories. I can just see Tyler and Jacob helping with the decorating, they will absolutely love it. As for Maggie, poor thing, she is just too cute to have a black eye. I tried to give Ryan a bath in the sink a while back and all the water ended up on the floor and counter tops, haven't attempted that again. Hope all is well with you guys. Are you staying in Irwin for the holidays?

Jessica said...

We get new ornaments every year (the kids pick their own out) and my tree is a very eclectic tree but the kids LOVE putting it up with me and getting out their old ornaments. You will be creating fun memories for them!